We have experience with texture issues and we are also looking at a possible speech delay.
When we started purees at 6 months, G had a really hard time with gagging and/or vomiting. We used the waterproof Bumkins bibs with the food catcher at the bottom to make cleanup faster and less disgusting. We had to water the purees down with breast milk to the point where they dripped off the spoon. His pedi wasn't concerned at his 9 month appointment, but I certainly was. I asked for a referral to an occupational therapist so we could discuss potential feeding therapy. DP and I weren't 100% on the same page when it came to this, so we decided to wait until his first birthday before proceeding with the OT therapy. As it turned out, G finally started to improve and began eating solids (very soft table foods) 2-3 weeks before his first birthday. We ultimately did not pursue OT, however, I think it still would have helped G learn how to handle various textures faster so he could eat what the rest of the family was eating. At almost 2 years old, he's finally eating most of what we eat, aside from a few items that he just can't seem to tolerate the texture of.
G could say a couple of words around his first birthday, but then stopped saying them all together. Between his first birthday and 20 months, he'd learn a word or two, and say them for a 1-5 days then stop saying them. He finally started to hang on to some of the words around 19/20 months, but at nearly 23 months, his vocab is less than 2 dozen words. We asked the pedi last month about this (not his usual dr, but the other dr at the practice) and she didn't seem concerned and told us they'd evaluate his speech at his 2 year appointment. Sounded good to us, however, (long story short) an ER trip two weeks later (due to nursemaid's elbow) lead to a referral to the CDSA to have G's speech evaluated. I guess the hospital thought he should have been able to articulate more about the pain he was having in his arm and when they asked us about his vocab, they expressed concern regarding his speech reversion. After the initial evaluation, it turned out that G qualified to have further evaluation by a speech pathologist to determine if he qualifies for speech therapy. We're also having his hearing checked (at our request) because you just never know how well they hear without checking, IMO. I wouldn't think therapy would be very helpful if it's his hearing that is holding him back.
So that's our experience. At your stage in the game, I'd probably listen to your pedi regarding the texture issues, but hold off a bit on the speech and see what develops between now and his 18 month appointment.