Topic: Is it time to try a RE?

This is my second try.  The first try I got one positive OPK on Sunday night and tried Monday night and Tuesday morning.  I got my period 2 weeks later on Sunday around the same time as my first positive OPK. 

This time, I got a positive OPK Sunday using the purple clearblue, but the pink one never gave me a positive (I got a positive clearable pink one last time about 12 hours after the purple one gave me a "peak" reading).  I tried inseminating Sunday night and Monday late afternoon. 

I also tried tracking my BBT this cycle.  In general, my temps range about 1 degree despite having an alarm at 6 am so I can take it at the same time everyday.  (I’m a restless sleeper and sometimes I wake up around 4-5am and just take it then.)  My BBT did go up Monday night, but I think that was because I got up a few times in the middle of the night.  Last night, it was one of the lowest temps this cycle.  I’m guessing that means I didn’t ovulate?  I have had some cramping that started Sunday afternoon that I assumed was ovulation pain but now I’m not sure. 

My sister had PCOS but I’ve never officially been diagnosed with it despite having talked to the doctor about having some of the symptoms.  My cycles are pretty regular (every 33-36 days), but I recently found out that doesn’t mean that I don’t have PCOS.

Is it time to try a RE?  Or should I make an appointment with my regular OBGYN to see if she can help?

I’m thinking about doing this test http://requestatest.com/progesterone-testing next Monday to see if I ovulated this cycle just so I have a better idea.  It’s well worth the $60 to me if it will give me an answer. It's a 3-4 month wait to get in with my doctor.

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

I think it's worth going straight to an RE. They'll know what to test for and usually have better equipment (i.e. higher-quality ultrasounds). I got pregnant on my 2nd RE-assisted IUI, after 4 failed at-home tries.

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

I ended up going to the RE because I was having trouble tracking at home. She did a bunch of tests only to determine things are fine. It is still a great place to start because you get really specific answers. Also, I ended up getting a saliva test. If you search for fertility saliva tests on ebay or Amazon you should be able to find something. I have had much better luck with it.

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

I would say if you can go to an RE then go. We got pregnant on out first try with the dr. It also took all the pressure off of us because we didn't have to try to track anything or worry about timing. The dr did all of it. We just showed up when they said.

S & L TTC #1
July, Sept, Nov & Dec - All BFN
Jan-May - Break
June- BFP - loss @ 5 weeks
Aug-BFN
Sept- Dr assisted IUI- BFP @10DPI. It's a GIRL!! Our little girl was born 5/21/2015 healthy & happy!! smile

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

I agree about it taking the pressure off when you use an RE. I found at-home tries way more stressful.

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

Don't go, run!! Lol!
I tried for months at home and when I went to the RE I found out I had a tumor on one of my ovaries that needed to come out.
I had regular periods and always got a +opk. I've never had a problem my entire life! Always ovulated according to progesterone testing but, after many IUIs, I wouldn't get pregnant.
So IVF was my next step. Worked on the first go and it was such an easy process. I'm not saying everyone should go straight to IVF but I wish I had listened to my RE. I insisted in more IUIs because there wasn't anything wrong with me and I was having textbook cycles. I thought IVF was this terribly emotionally and physically draining procedure and it was far from it. I found IUIs much more taxing.

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1d429d
TTC since March 2015: 5 ICIs & 5 IUIs -all BFN
July 2016- IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel - converted to IUI-  BFN
Sept 2016-IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel- Two 3d ET- BFP @ 9dp3dt,  Beta#1: 209 @ 12dp3dt, #2: 782 @ 15dp3dt - EDD 6/3/17 - It's a Boy!

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

FutureSMBC wrote:

I thought IVF was this terribly emotionally and physically draining procedure and it was far from it. I found IUIs much more taxing.


Ditto! I thought IVF was soooo much easier than IUI's, and the IVF meds were a lot easier on my body than clomid was.

TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

Thank you everyone!  I have an appointment with the RE on the 28th.  They charge 1-2 300+ "consultations" before they'll even start any testing/treatment.  I think part of my problem was the my BBT thermometer isn't accurate.  I can take 5 temps in a row and they'll all be different.  I wish I could post a picture of the chart.  While they fluctuated day-to-day, all temps were under 97 before my positive OPK.  The day after the positive OPK, it jumped to 97.39 (from 96.36), then dropped to 96.54 for one day before staying above 97.30.  I would think I definitely ovulated this cycle if it wasn't for the weird 96.54 reading after my highest reading of the month.  I'm in my TWW so only time will tell. FX  I was hoping that it would happen at home without treatment since I'm in my mid-twenties.

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

A little late but what happened with this? Hope you had good fortune! If not, did you ever get an anti-mullerian hormone test done?  The AMH test is well worth the money and can help you figure out if your eggs are "old" and might be the problem. Of course, hormones can be the issue as well. Just my 2c

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

jasmine wrote:

A little late but what happened with this? Hope you had good fortune! If not, did you ever get an anti-mullerian hormone test done?  The AMH test is well worth the money and can help you figure out if your eggs are "old" and might be the problem. Of course, hormones can be the issue as well. Just my 2c

It technically worked that cycle (Jan) and I didn't realize I was pregnant when I wrote the post, but it ended quickly.  After that, I tried another donor that I really liked with medicated cycles through my OBGYN and it never worked.  I finally went to a RE, but tried one last time with the original donor the day before my apt (no meds).  I almost didn't even bother since I was so sure it wouldn't work, but I ordered one vial at the last minute.  For all my other attempts, I used two vials.  I was waiting for my period to start so we could try a monitored IUI cycle.   The orginal donor worked again (100% success rate with him) and I'm half way through my pregnancy now.  I was very hesitant to use a RE because it was going to be hard, bordering on impossible, to make all the appointments because of my job.

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

Anya wrote:
jasmine wrote:

A little late but what happened with this? Hope you had good fortune! If not, did you ever get an anti-mullerian hormone test done?  The AMH test is well worth the money and can help you figure out if your eggs are "old" and might be the problem. Of course, hormones can be the issue as well. Just my 2c

It technically worked that cycle (Jan) and I didn't realize I was pregnant when I wrote the post, but it ended quickly.  After that, I tried another donor that I really liked with medicated cycles through my OBGYN and it never worked.  I finally went to a RE, but tried one last time with the original donor the day before my apt (no meds).  I almost didn't even bother since I was so sure it wouldn't work, but I ordered one vial at the last minute.  For all my other attempts, I used two vials.  I was waiting for my period to start so we could try a monitored IUI cycle.   The orginal donor worked again (100% success rate with him) and I'm half way through my pregnancy now.  I was very hesitant to use a RE because it was going to be hard, bordering on impossible, to make all the appointments because of my job.

I just so happened to come across this post, congratulations! smile would you happen to have any stored vials of 774R? I used this donor and now my little girl will be one year old tomorrow and I want so badly a full sibling for her but this donor is sold out and no longer donating.

Re: Is it time to try a RE?

I am sorry, but I just purchased as I went and never stored anything.  I hope someone else had some left over.  I didn't buy any extras from my daughter's donor and I am starting to wish that I had. 

haleybell093 wrote:
Anya wrote:
jasmine wrote:

A little late but what happened with this? Hope you had good fortune! If not, did you ever get an anti-mullerian hormone test done?  The AMH test is well worth the money and can help you figure out if your eggs are "old" and might be the problem. Of course, hormones can be the issue as well. Just my 2c

It technically worked that cycle (Jan) and I didn't realize I was pregnant when I wrote the post, but it ended quickly.  After that, I tried another donor that I really liked with medicated cycles through my OBGYN and it never worked.  I finally went to a RE, but tried one last time with the original donor the day before my apt (no meds).  I almost didn't even bother since I was so sure it wouldn't work, but I ordered one vial at the last minute.  For all my other attempts, I used two vials.  I was waiting for my period to start so we could try a monitored IUI cycle.   The orginal donor worked again (100% success rate with him) and I'm half way through my pregnancy now.  I was very hesitant to use a RE because it was going to be hard, bordering on impossible, to make all the appointments because of my job.

I just so happened to come across this post, congratulations! smile would you happen to have any stored vials of 774R? I used this donor and now my little girl will be one year old tomorrow and I want so badly a full sibling for her but this donor is sold out and no longer donating.