Topic: Is this normal or should I call me RE?

So, yesterday after my IUI, the RE put a "sponge" in. (I guess it is the same basic idea as using an Instead cup) He said that there was no real proof that they actually did anything, and he honestly wasn't convinced that they did, but he used them just in case.  Basically it was a sponge wrapped in what appeared to be plastic with tampon like pull strings on it that he put in after the IUI was done.  He told me to leave it in for a couple of hours and pull it out.  Well, when I pulled it out (sorry this is TMI) there was some brown liquid on the outside...it appeared maybe to be spotting or something but it was too dark?

Has anyone ever heard of these sponge things?  Is that normal or should I call my doctor?

Amanda 36 (mommy to two boys ages 6 & 7 from previous marriage)
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;7;19/st/20140112/k/65d3/preg.png
IUIs #1&2 (natural cycles), IUIs#3&4  (50mg Clomid), IUI#5 ( 75iu Follistim+Trigger): BFNs
IUI#6 April 2013 (100iu Follistim+Trigger)=BFP...God is Good! 
Beta 15dpo=280 Beta 17dpo=581... First ultrasound scheduled for 5/22

Re: Is this normal or should I call me RE?

he probably irritated / scraped your cx when trying to do the iui. i wouldn't worry about it. cervix's are very vascular and can easily bleed. it was probably brown because of it sitting there on the sponge for so long.

--- Scanning new moms all day, just wish it would be me ---

Re: Is this normal or should I call me RE?

Yeah, I figured as much, thanks for the reassurance though.

I was a little weirded out by the sponge thing...of course I understand why he didn't take the white plastic off (otherwise the sponge would absorb stuff) but it looked like a really thick hefty bag wrapped around a (too big) sponge.

Amanda 36 (mommy to two boys ages 6 & 7 from previous marriage)
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;7;19/st/20140112/k/65d3/preg.png
IUIs #1&2 (natural cycles), IUIs#3&4  (50mg Clomid), IUI#5 ( 75iu Follistim+Trigger): BFNs
IUI#6 April 2013 (100iu Follistim+Trigger)=BFP...God is Good! 
Beta 15dpo=280 Beta 17dpo=581... First ultrasound scheduled for 5/22