1 (edited by Jccwill3 2013-03-03 11:11:37)

Topic: WARNING: Hot topic, no judgement

HAD TO SHOUTOUT TO MY TTCers THIS MORNING:
Last night, I had the pleasure of attending a dinner party with a bunch of friends -- very casual, everyone friendly, "Cheers" type attitude. A friend of my has recently found herself pregnant after trying for 3 months (of course, BAH-- and this is number #2). Anyhow, to make a long story short I was shocked when I saw a bunch of people toking on a marijuana joint.... including my preggers friend. I don't personally indulge but like I said, no judgement and I wouldn't have a prob admitting if I did. This IS "weed nation" as CNN calls it.

Well, naturally I asked her about it -- sort of in that non-confrontational way even though inside I'm like "??????" She says she has terrible morning sickness...... okay. She's tried all the meds the doc prescribed even during first preg, none worked. She told me she had been a heavy smoker before she had gotten pregnant (daily, which I kinda suspected) both times. NO JUDGEMENT. She said that during her first preg it had been an issue she talked to her doctor with. Amazingly. her doc didn;'t report her to CPS but told her that there's no evidence it causes harm especially since she was already a regular user. Me:"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" She continued to smoke on and off all through the first to help with sickness and appetite.  I thought: "Are these doctors hippies?!"

Naturally, I came right home an googled it.http://www.babycenter.com/404_will-smok … 1334464.bc YES, oddly, this was a topic on BabyCenter and  BabyandBump among others. CHeck out the comments, You'd be SHOCKED by some of the opinions.

But what do you think? Obviously everyone on this board values and cherishes the blessing of pregnancy so we tend to engage in  behavior to try to live "clean" in all respects. But then some will say, what about medical marijuana?  It's clean. Right?  First off, Do you think marijuana affects female fertility? How do you feel about Marijuana and pregnancy?

Weigh in. And please don't judge, argue or take offense if someone should have a different opinion than your own.

Re: WARNING: Hot topic, no judgement

I believe that everyone is open to live their life as they choose. Each doctor has their own opinion, and if it is something both parties mutually find beneficial then go ahead. I am open to listening to other view points but living my own way. Not everyone has to live as I do.

I personally would not smoke marijuana during pregnancy. I do know many people who use it for many medical reasons and it does help them.

Cycle 6 was my lucky cycle! BFP!!!
EDD 12/13/2013
It's identical TWINS! They're GIRLS!
7/20/2013 Sweet Baby A lost her battle with IUGR.
8/26/2013 Feisty Baby B was born via emergency CSection 16 weeks premature

A friend suggested I take a Mountain Dew to my last ultrasound because that is what she did and her babies went crazy and put on a good show for her ultrasounds.  Well I am completely sure they did - there is just no way.  Even with caffeine they say there is no evidence that a little caffeine now and then will cause harm to baby, my feeling on the  matter is that if something causes such an obvious reaction to a full grown adult, why would I want to give it to my tiny little baby that is just five inches long am still developing k. A daily basis?  I feel the same way about marijuana. If I wouldn't put a joint up to my newborn baby's face, why would I give it to my baby before he is even born?  Because when you are pregnant, what you put into your body is what you are putting into your baby's body.

I guess it depends. If she was on a zofran pump and was really sick or talking about aborting because she was sick then I would say by all means smoke away or better yet make brownies. But I wouldn't do it for a minor case of nausea.

Honestly I think some medicines, GMOs in food, toxic chemicals in cleaners, shampoos, soaps, moisturizers, etc are much more harmful to the body and fetus than marijuana. Would I smoke it ever, let alone while pregnant? No, it's not my style, but I wouldn't judge others who choose to live thier life that way.

6 (edited by Jccwill3 2013-03-03 13:42:53)

@wasnervouswreck - Looks like in all the story I forgot to tell say my opinion, but I agree with you after doing a fair amount of research.
@cocobay - Totally agree. Drugs/chemicals are drugs. And I'm even a pharmacist. Is Reglan better than Marijuana (something that grows out of the ground).I can't say. But they also make marijuana in a pill form so .... hm. And have legalized it medicinally in so many states. I, too, would not smoke during pregnancy as I do not smoke. But hey, I guess you never know until you're in the position.

@JayJay - I think I may be more leary about the Mountain Dew! All that caffiene!

I do, however, believe that it MAY affect male fertility over time but that it has no effect on FEMALE fertility. I don't think smoking during TTC can affect your odds ESPECIALLY when using a donor.

Yes that was my point - I would never drink Mountain Dew and I wouldnt take marijuana either, in any form.  Basically I am not putting anything I. My body now (and as a result, my baby's body) that I wouldnt give to my baby after he is born.

For me, absolutely no. No weed. period.

1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
age 36 http://lb3m.lilypie.com/evtim8.png
age 39 http://lb1m.lilypie.com/K8qxm7.png

I would consume it before I consumed Zofran, without thinking twice.

I have thought about this over the past couple years. I really struggled with it at first, but strictly because of the stigma attached to marijuana--not the facts. I have never been a "stoner" and haven't done more than tried it a couple times in my teen years and haven't ever had interest in it. I have Fibromyalgia and it is legal in my state. By all means I could be using it medicinally on a daily basis or just the really tough days, but I don't. I don't like introducing things into my body that aren't necessary on a regular basis.

Knowing that my mother was hospitalized three times for hypermesis, as well as how easily nauseated I am, I have known for some time that I will most likely have a tough time as well. One of the women I used to nanny for refused the Zofran as well, but spent the first 25 WEEKS of her pregnant absolutely miserable and crying. I get the stomach flu for a couple days and am in tears from the misery! I know another friend who had morning sickness from her pregnancy tests to the birth of both of her children. If taking a couple bites of something containing marijuana fixes that, why not??

As it is I eat very little processed foods, do not drink coffee, hardly drink any alcohol/wine (once last month?), take a ton of vitamins and don't take as much as a single Advil or Tylenol. I would hate to take unsafe nausea pills instead of a plant!

Us: Together since '07, engaged '09, married '11. Trying to start a family since '09. 1 BFN.
Me: Child dev. degree, nanny to 5 for 5.5yrs, digital print artist, portrait photographer.
*Leaving. Message me if you'd like to keep in touch*

Oh how I miss the weed. Kidding, kind of. No not really. I often joke that if my gyn cannot get my hormones under control with bc pills soon she is going to need to write me a prescription for valuim...the original "mothers little helper". I know you are talking about pregnancy and morning sickness but I'm talking about being a better, calmer and more patient parent!

Anyway, I never experienced one moment of morning sickness and rarely in a non pregnancy state have ever gotten naseous or vomitted. But the few times I have?  Truly awful. I wouldn't judge a women who didn't want to feel like that 24/7 for 9 months. I've read the stories on here and heard some in person and I am always shocked that women who go through that actually ttc again!

If I were faced with this I would weigh the options just like I would anything else between traditonal medicine, alternative medicine etc.

I have to say though that if I am taking this for medicinal purposes I'm not passing a joint at a party so that people think I'm partying it up. Maybe I'm wrong to care what people think but I just wouldn't do that.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/shanny2032/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps64579b54.png

Never. And I am one of those special ones who suffered terribly. 60lb weight loss, zofran pump, around the clock oral zofran, meclizine, pepcid, PICC line, IV fluids, 5 hospitalizations....I could go on.

I don't know what state she lives in, but here if your baby tests positive for marijuana...you don't get to take it home.

Jamie
Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/YFNR/DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg

yfnr wrote:

Never. And I am one of those special ones who suffered terribly. 60lb weight loss, zofran pump, around the clock oral zofran, meclizine, pepcid, PICC line, IV fluids, 5 hospitalizations....I could go on.

I don't know what state she lives in, but here if your baby tests positive for marijuana...you don't get to take it home.

Do they automatically test for that, or only if they suspect?

It completely depends on the state and it is not baby gets ripped from your arms. If your state is strict with marijuana laws and they do a test and find it's positive they can note it and/or have CPS do an evaluation to make sure baby is in good hands. Most states do not test and even if they did, it's not treated like you and baby tested positive for meth. Washington state doesn't care.

Us: Together since '07, engaged '09, married '11. Trying to start a family since '09. 1 BFN.
Me: Child dev. degree, nanny to 5 for 5.5yrs, digital print artist, portrait photographer.
*Leaving. Message me if you'd like to keep in touch*

Even still, I have zero desire to have CPS show up at my door.  In my state at least, I don't trust them at all.  Moot point for me, because I don't and wouldn't use it anyway.  But I was just curious.  Randomly testing newborns seems totally insane to me.

15 (edited by Jccwill3 2013-03-05 12:25:56)

I know that in New York, the test mothers that come in the ER for delivery for marijuana and if you refuse, they test the baby. Then CPS is in the picture. Not good. So, for anyone from NYC, beware.

TheMFamily wrote:

It completely depends on the state and it is not baby gets ripped from your arms. If your state is strict with marijuana laws and they do a test and find it's positive they can note it and/or have CPS do an evaluation to make sure baby is in good hands. Most states do not test and even if they did, it's not treated like you and baby tested positive for meth. Washington state doesn't care.

I think it must vary by state. I know in New Jersey, within a certain population, it most certainly is rip the baby from your arms. It may not officially say that in the laws, but it is definitely what happens.

http://lbyf.lilypie.com/GOzIm4.png
https://lb2f.lilypie.com/hAO7m4.png
https://lb1f.lilypie.com/CmQMm4.png

If that is what that mother chooses to do then that is on her. I wouldn't use marijuana... especially not if i am pregnant. One reason is that it is illegal in TN. I don't agree that it should be illegal, but I also don't want to put myself in a situation where I have to explain to an officer or the courts why I have it. Secondly I question the "naturalness". Simply put weed is not always just weed. I would be afraid of all the stuff people do to weed to make it more potent or what not.

That being said I try to look for natural alternatives before I go to meds so I would research other legal natural options for ms relief.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/27063_541015743588_7092397_n.jpg

Together since 10/28/2005, married since 03/07/2009, TTC #1 02/08/12 - BFN. TTC #2 10/9/12 - BFN. TTC #3 June 2013 - BFN

Maybe...in a case of EXTREME never ending nausea, I would eat brownies.

On another note, a co-worker who I don't like much anyway is pregnant and continues to smoke cigs and drink alcohol. I've allowed myself to vent all hatred and jealousy about other people people being pregnant while I'm not in her direction. Only in my head of course, not to her face but I find it helpful to have someone I can just be insanely angry at for being pregnant and acting stupid.

Hogwaffle wrote:

Maybe...in a case of EXTREME never ending nausea, I would eat brownies.

On another note, a co-worker who I don't like much anyway is pregnant and continues to smoke cigs and drink alcohol. I've allowed myself to vent all hatred and jealousy about other people people being pregnant while I'm not in her direction. Only in my head of course, not to her face but I find it helpful to have someone I can just be insanely angry at for being pregnant and acting stupid.

:-( Nothing makes me more angry.  Why are people so willing to put all that alcohol through their baby's TINY little liver? How does that seem like a good idea? Not to mention the cigarettes. So so so irresponsible.

20 (edited by Goobie 2013-03-07 16:22:28)

I am responding BEFORE reading any other answers!

I will not judge.  Smoking pot during pregnancy CAN help with morning sickness in the first trimester, and with chronic back/pelvic pain in the third.  I had coffee just the morning with a friend who is 30 weeks into her 4th pregnancy, and has used marijuana for MS and back pain (she has a back injury from a car accident) in all her pregnancies AT RECOMENDATION BY our midwife (who is also my midwife, so I know her stand on it).

It is not our place to judge.  Is one joint a day better or worse then a handful of chemically prepared pills?  As with any addiction, cutting cold turkey could cause her to miscarry.  This is one of those times when I, a very loudmouthed, outspoked, gives my opinion to everyone kind of person shuts up.   I don't know their full story, nor do they know mine, it is not my place.  Prescription pills, cigarettes and marijuana, leave it between her and her medical professional.

Heavy recreational street drugs and alcohol are totally different, and I will weigh in my opinion to anyone, anywhere on that.

Editted to add (after reading the responses)  IF you knew your weed was "clean" as in, you knew the grower, does that make a difference?  Because up here where I live, the stuff growns wild in the hills, and there's a grower on every block

Also adding, the placenta does not form til after the 6th week, and does not take over fully until the 12th week.  This is natures safe-guard, so you have a few drinks before you find out you're pregnant, have some sushi, smoke a joint... we AI'ers are the minority, most people don't even suspect they are pregnant til at least a few days after missed period, closer to 5-6 weeks of pregnany.  NOTHING crosses the placental barrier before that, because there is none, its still in yolk sac stage.  Just being a poopoo disturber now, but technically in the first few weeks you are NOT putting anything into babys body that you put into your own, because they are still "self sufficient".  So does that change anything?

And for those of you who are dying to know... I don't smoke pot, I'm allergic to marijuana, and throw up uncontrollably from it.  Which is really too bad, becacuse I live in pot-nation and it is FAR more acceptable in my neck of the woods then the prescription anti-nauseant meds I do have to take wink

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013.  6th baby, so much love!

I didn't have ms so I really can't say on that but the 2 times I smoked, once I vomited uncontrollably for a long long time, and the 2nd I was super paranoid.
But if the ms was anything like the vomiting I had for the pot, and I was familiar enough with it to know that it would calm my nausea? Maybe.

I have never and I never would. BUT, If it is legal in your area and you are legally ingesting a controlled amount at your health provider's recommendation, who am I to judge? I didn't want anyone judging me for taking Tylenol PM during a small portion of my pregnancy at my Dr.'s recommendation!

On another note, just to add to the info - I live in WI, pot is illegal, and it absolutely IS pull your baby out of your arms, no questions asked, if you test positive for marijuana.  Not saying you couldn't eventually get said baby back if you could prove your smoking wasn't irresponsible and doesn't affect your parenting skills (I've personally witnessed it!) but who wants to see their brand new baby leave the hospital with a social worker, only have supervised visits with their child for the first many months of your child's life. I certainly wouldn't, so I absolutely wouldn't recommend it if you live here!

After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

http://i58.tinypic.com/a3cmlv.jpg